Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Serendipity!

Serendipity:  An unexpected but pleasant surprise.

Its been my favorite word for a very long time.  And I love every time it happens.

Last night, I decided to try a new recipe.  I'd seen one in a magazine/recipe book at the grocery store and just loosely remembered the idea and tried my own version of it at home.  It turned out delicious!  Just as we were sitting down to eat, the neighbors stopped by to return gloves they'd found along the road on their afternoon walk that they suspected might belong to one of our daughters (which they did).  We invited them to join us for dinner as I had made plenty and we were just starting.  It turned out to be a wonderful evening of fellowship and just getting to know each other a bit more. 

Isn't Serendipity fabulous?  I hope you will find some or make some for someone else too with a Good Deed today! 

Here's that recipe, and some ideas for changing it up too!

Quick “Lasagna”

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Ingredients: (I love that these are things you can stock in the freezer and cabinet too and then toss together quickly last minute!)

1-2 bag(s) of frozen raviolis (I used cheese for this first one but any flavors would work well I think) (For my 10”sq baking dish, I used 32 large raviolis in layers of 4x4 so depends on the bag size and dish size. That made about 7-8 large servings, or nearly double that if smaller.)

1-2 jars of sauce (I used a Ragu Garlic Parmesan white sauce. You can use Alfredo or Marinara also, just depends on what you want for flavors, diet, calories, etc.).

1 box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained.

½-1 jar of pesto, just depends on how flavorful you want the dish.

Approx. ½ cup of shredded parmesan.

Directions:
Mix the spinach with the pesto sauce in a bowl.
Then in a baking pan, create two layers of the sauce (bottom of pan), then Spinach/Pesto mix, then Raviolis.
Finish with another layer of sauce to cover the raviolis, and sprinkle with the parmesan.
Bake: 350 degrees F for approx. 35 minutes, until bubbly.

Add a vegetable or salad on the side and a bread, and voila, dinner.

I think next time I’m going to try different raviolis (such as the vegetable or seafood ones) and sauces and other veggies too like zucchini, shredded carrots, eggplant or broccoli in with the spinach. I’m always trying to find ways to increase the veggie intake.
I think you could also use pierogies in place of the raviolis too.  And it should freeze well like any lasagna also!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Christina said...

What a wonderful time with your neighbors! I can't wait to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing. ;). Hugs!

Jen said...

Sounds like a great time! I'll have to copy the recipe...sounds like my picky eaters might like it=). TFS!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Delicious sharing with the neighbors returning lost gloves and ideas with blogland-us. mt23stamperatyahoo Thank you. Keep Looking UP!