Friday, January 17, 2014

A New Year, A New Me

Welcome 2014!

It's a new year, and time for a new me.
2013 was not exactly a banner year for me.  There were many changes that occurred, both good and bad, some rather drastic and traumatizing.  No sense in reliving it, nor any sense in staying stuck in it.  Needless to say, I'm glad to see 2014.

This year, I will turn the big 5-0.  So I have set goals to accomplish this year, some by the time I turn 50, some ongoing. 

My biggest goal is to be healthier.  Not only physically, but mentally, emotionally, spiritually and financially.  I firmly believe they all impact one another and are interconnected in many ways.  My journey to better health actually began in the last two months of 2013 and I'm happy to say is progressing well.  I found a functional/integrative medicine doctor and underwent a lot of testing to identify the foods to which I'm allergic/sensitive.  It was a long list, but a good one to know.  It helped me to understand why my health had tanked over the last 7 years.  I quit eating those foods and am doing much better.  As a part of that, I chose to try the Clean (by Dr. Junger) cleanse for 21 days.  I'm now on Day 18 of that and doing very well.  After this cleanse program, I plan to continue along the same lines to complete a candida cleanse program for a month, based upon testing results as well.  As my food sensitivities include a lot of the foods I couldn't eat on the cleanse programs anyhow, it is a good direction for me.  The goal is to heal my body from the inside (literally, intestinal tract) out.  It also includes slowly but surely increasing exercise and physical activity as well -- and I joined the YMCA locally here to do that.  They have aqua zumba classes, saunas, restorative yoga, saunas, great exercise equipment, saunas... oh, and did I mention saunas?

So far I've lost 16 lbs on this healthier me journey, several inches total, and my blood pressure is down by 30-40 points and is now in the normal range for me.  Awesome, if I do say so myself!  

I've also started the 52-Week Challenge as a part of the financial health goal.  It is where you save $1 the first week, $2 the second week, and so on.  At the end of the year, you have $1378 saved.  Some friends of mine do this as their Christmas shopping fund, some are doing it as a Vacation funds savings, some simply to save extra.  I've challenged myself to save more than the amount on there, adding a zero whenever possible, i.e. $10 the first week, $20 the second week, etc.  Now I realize that as we get into the higher week numbers, it may not be possible to keep up at that 'extra-zero' pace, but I intend to keep making that dent as far as I can to see what I'm capable of saving this year.  Fortunately, this year I am also paying off the car loan as well so it will help to achieve that and keep me from just spending it. 

Spiritually, God has led me in many decisions and changes this past year and provided great inspiration through many individuals.  I am so very blessed.  I've found a new home church near my new house and plan to continue worshipping there as well as studying on my own.  I think He has provided this time for me to heal on all these levels right now... and am sure He will continue to "direct my paths" in accordance with His Will and in His Timing.  I want to be ready for when He points me in those new directions. 

Mentally and Emotionally, healing has already begun.  Getting out of the negative situation and into a calmer, more peaceful one has helped me to see more clearly.  The dietary changes have helped greatly to eliminate the 'brain fog.'  I'm much more able to focus and make decisions, etc. 

Another one of my goals is to see the rest of the United States.  There are only 10 left I haven't been to yet:  Alaska, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Vermont, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and North Dakota.  It will take a few trips, but I'm looking forward to them and planning already!

And of course, there are Good Deeds.  Ironically, however, I encouraged everyone else to do Random Acts of Kindness and Stamp Good Deeds, but I wasn't very good at being kind to myself, as a friend explained to me.  I'm learning.  I still do and encourage others to do RAKs, but now that also includes being kind to themselves as well.  We ALL need a little kindness (if not a LOT).

So Welcome 2014!  I think we're off to the start of a Great Year!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hi there!
I didn't even know you had a blog. Now... let's start 2015. And if you've not been to Arkansas yet, let me know. I have the PERFECT spot for you to visit... and I'll join you :-) Creative Blessings!